If you read my March Favorites post, you know that my go-to show was Parks and Recreation last month. Naturally I finished the entire series and needed to find a new show to shamelessly watch nonstop during the month of April. Spoiler alert! That show is Friends.
I vaguely remember watching Friends with my parents when it was on NBC every Thursday night, but around my sophomore year of high-school I began purchasing the seasons on DVD to watch. That is when my obsession truly started. Each year for Christmas I would get a few seasons and finish them in a matter of days. The episodes are so effortlessly hilarious, but at the same time full of interesting plot developments. I really do feel like I’m missing out when I watch a random episode out-of-order.
So I had been watching Friends religiously for about 7 years when I found out all of the episodes were being released on Netflix. No more getting out of bed to switch the DVDs. Hooray! Although I am one of the people who notice the little lines removed from the episodes on Netflix. Regardless, my obsession has grown and Friends has been my go-to show this month probably for the 20th time in my life.
I want to share with you my top 5 favorite episodes. These are the episodes that when they are over, I literally watch them again and again. These episodes might be the cliché top 5 best episodes, but each one is specifically special to me and I am going to tell you why. Oh and I guess I should say SPOILER ALERT for the entire series of Friends. I assume most of you have watched it, but if you haven’t I will be giving some things away. It still baffles me that there are people existing that haven’t watched a single episode of Friends.
5. The One With Monica and Chandler’s Wedding (7×23,24) – The first memory I have of watching Friends with my parents was this episode. I always cry at the end when the camera pans to Rachel’s face and in that moment you know she is the one that is really pregnant. Ah I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about it. When I watched the series again in high school I felt such a sense of nostalgia watching this episode. Now, whenever I watch it, it gives me the same nostalgic feeling of being 7 years old and watching this moment with my family.
“Maybe he’s writing to tell her he changed his name. Like “Tell Monica I’m Sorry”.”
4. The One Where No Ones Ready (3×2) – This episode takes place entirely in the apartment, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. Being a writer myself, I have such an appreciation for the amount of character development that had to occur in order to keep 6 people in a room without a change of scenery for approximately 22 minutes. This episode is just so perfect and is definitely one of the only ones that I could put on randomly and be completely entertained.
“Look at me, I’m Chandler. Could I *be* wearing any more clothes?”
3. The One Where Everybody Finds Out (5×14) – I love the sequence of events that this episode goes through in order to get to the big moment where everyone finds out. It is dramatic without feeling like a dramatic episode. Phoebe is one of my favorite characters and Lisa Kudrow freaking kills every line in this episode.
“They don’t know we know they know we know.”
2. The One With The Prom Video (2×14) – IN THE BEGINNING OF THE EPISODE RACHEL SAYS NO AND YOU THINK THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THEM BUT THEN SHE SAYS YES I JUST LOVE IT. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this episode.
“He’s her lobster!”
1. The One With The Embryos (4×12) – This episode is full of quick punch lines that make me hysterically laugh every time. I think I love this episode so much because through the course of the game they play each character is summed up perfectly. Every single line is so classic them. If you want to watch an episode that precisely captures the spirit of the show it is definitely this one.
“Actually, it’s Miss Chanandler Bong.”
Thank you Friends for always being there for me. What are your favorite Friends episodes?
Bye for now!